BIPOC Straw Bale Workshop Scholarships

To the Black, Indigenous, and people of color in our straw bale community,

Social housing and affordable community property as a group of diverse hands holding a family house symbol with 3D illustration elements.

I recently received a very powerful message from an African American woman educator in which she shared how important it is for us to clearly state that Black, Indigenous, and people of color are “welcomed and wanted” at our workshops.

It became clear that Gabriella and I have not done enough to create that safe, welcoming space or to share that message broadly over our years of teaching straw bale workshops. We understand that we will never know what it is like to be a Black, Indigenous, or person of color in this country. What we DO know is that you are welcome in the straw bale community and at our workshops.

10 SCHOLARSHIPS OPENINGS

For years, we have offered scholarship positions for our workshops as we recognize the large financial commitment that signing up for one can be. Today we are announcing the following openings specifically for the BIPOC community:

-10 full scholarship positions

-Scholarships include all tuition, meals throughout the workshop, access to bathroom and bathing facilities, and a camping spot. Travel expenses are the responsibility of the scholarship recipients but if you are within driving distance, we are happy to connect you with other participants to help set up a ride-share.

-These 10 scholarships will be available yearly during each workshop season.

If you would like to apply, please email StrawBaleWorkshops@gmail.com with a few paragraphs sharing what you hope to get out of the workshop, what your interests in straw bale construction are, and anything else that you feel is relevant to our scholarship decision making process.

We look forward to hearing from you and to seeing you at a workshop soon!

Andrew and Gabriella

14 Responses to BIPOC Straw Bale Workshop Scholarships

1. Avatar
    Christian Nielsen Fri, June 19, 2020 at 2:33 pm #

Thanks for doing this! We need to do so much more…
    (Old white guy who doesn’t qualify)

Andrew Morrison Mon, July 6, 2020 at 9:12 am #

Thanks for your support Christian. Us old white guys have a big responsibility to do what’s right and to speak out against things that aren’t. Thanks for being a part of the solution.

3. Avatar
    Cece Thu, August 6, 2020 at 7:03 pm #

Thanks for having this opportunity. Like you said, it is important to explicitly say it is a welcoming environment for all diversities and not assume that people know that.
    Stating our beliefs and values may seem unnecessary to some, but I believe it is important to be clear on such important topics.

4. Avatar
    A Jackson Sat, August 15, 2020 at 2:20 pm #

As a women of African decent, who just happened to be perusing on this site, your statement feels amazing and welcoming. These intentional steps are what is needed. Continue to be explicit in your awareness and goals for more inclusivity.

Andrew Morrison Mon, August 17, 2020 at 11:48 am #

Thank you for reaching out. I am glad you feel welcome here, that is my want.

6. Avatar
    James E Johnson Jr Sun, August 23, 2020 at 10:07 am #

Andrew and Gabriella as a Black man that attended your Ft. Garland workshop, I as an individual found it both welcoming and safe. That said outreach into BIPOC communities is important to building better communities for all. BIPOC communities have long been overlooked by the environmental, permaculture organizations and do not participate not because they do not have and interest but because they have not been invited.

I am very happy to see that you are doing scholarships for BIPOC communities and will look for opportunities to helping you with this endeavor.

Andrew Morrison Fri, August 28, 2020 at 10:31 pm #

Hi James. Nice to hear from you again. Thank you for giving me that feedback. I look forward to connecting again.

Andrew Morrison Tue, October 13, 2020 at 6:49 pm #

Hi Cece. Sorry for the delayed response here. I continue to learn about the importance of speaking our truths publicly so that others may know exactly where we stand. I continue to speak up. stand up, and speak out.

9. Avatar
    Tammy Westbrook Fri, November 12, 2021 at 9:32 am #

Andrew and Gabriella Morrison, you rock!!!!! And, I cannot wait to meet you. I’m anxiously awaiting the announcement of the 2022 workshop schedule so that I can get my registration in. May God continue to bless all that you put your heart and hands to.

Andrew Morrison Sat, November 13, 2021 at 2:48 pm #

Thanks for the kind words Tammy! I hope to see you at a workshop next year!!!

11. Avatar
    donner Sun, January 2, 2022 at 12:03 am #

Does BIPOC mean Asians are not “welcomed” ?

12. Avatar
    Sharon Mon, January 10, 2022 at 8:51 am #

I’m agnostic and I want to be specifically invited to these workshops as well. BIPOC is NOT the only people who are discriminated against.

Andrew Morrison Fri, January 14, 2022 at 4:35 pm #

Hi Donner. We welcome everyone at our workshops. Having spoken with many people in the AAPI and BIPOC communities, we have chosen to focus on BIPOC communities with our scholarships due to an increased level of discrimination in housing, both historically and today. We are simply trying to help out as best we can. To be clear, we welcome people from all walks of life at our workshops.

Andrew Morrison Fri, January 14, 2022 at 4:38 pm #

Hi Sharon. I agree with you that discrimination extends to many circles and communities in the United States and around the world. I hope that one day this may not be the case; however, we find ourselves in exactly that type of world at the moment. You are welcome to join us at any of our workshops, and I hope you do. Your beliefs specific to religion are yours to hold and are yours to choose. I would not presume to say that I know anything “better than” you. You are welcome to your beliefs and truths. 🙂