Straw Bale House For Sale in Kansas

This is the ultimate survivor/prepper/homesteader paradise. Private and secluded, not seen from the dead end gravel road, is a 26 ft. round, 2 story, 3 bedroom 1 bath strawbale house, with live roof; built in 2008. Completely off grid location with solar array, and backup generator, to supply all your modern conveniences. Custom inlayed hardwood floors, custom butcher-block countertops, outdoor kitchen/sun room/screen porch and wrap around deck. Heat source is a modern, Amish made, wood fired cook stove; providing plenty of heat for this highly efficient shelter, as well as, hot water and unlimited baking. Cooling is provided passively, by holding the night temperature all day; as well as, by a geothermal “earthtube” system, which draws air through underground 4″ pipes.

Water is very abundant here, springs dot the hillside. We have dug two spring catchments, and lined them with rock. There is also a well in the bottomland that never goes dry; even in the drought of 2012. It is equipped with a solar pump that automatically comes on when the sun comes up. On a sunny day, it pumps up to 600 gallons/day into your choice of either a 200 gallon stainless steel tank that gravity feeds to the house, or a 10,000 gallon pool that can be used to gravity irrigate the 2 acre garden, or cool off in. There is also a 1,000 gallon rain catchment system on the barn for watering the animals. Two, crystal clear, spring fed creeks merge on the property, and feed into the Big Sugar Creek that clips the corner of the property. We have the only good access around for canoeing, fishing, and swimming.

If you are interested, please contact the owners directly here.

, , , ,

11 Responses to Straw Bale House For Sale in Kansas

1. Joe Sat, July 6, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

It’s on 29 acres in SE Kansas and price is $175,000

2. Angela Tue, October 1, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

It’s such a beautiful property and looks as though your family enjoyed living there. Curious why it’s now for sale?

3. Yvonda Tue, October 1, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

I am interested in building the same thing on an acre in this city Kansas city! any suggestions? and how far SE kansas

4. Andrew
    Andrew Wed, October 2, 2013 at 12:28 am #

I’m not sure of the exact location. Hopefully the building department in KC is knowledgable about straw bale. That will make things easier.

5. patty Thu, December 19, 2013 at 7:01 am #

really nice house. i love the songs u singing specially the last one all i want is a simple life. did you write this song or is there a singer in particular. good music 🙂

6. Andrew Morrison Sat, December 21, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Hi Patty. I am not sure who wrote those songs. They are performed by the current owners of the house as far as I know.

7. anita hollman Sun, August 10, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

I really love this house! I only want a few acres though! 3 or 4! I want small roundhouse! I love her songs! This young couple are very sustainable. I also want neighbors! I will fight and fight to get the rights to a strawbale home, with compost toilets in the city of St Paul, MN!

8. David Wright Fri, May 26, 2017 at 6:09 pm #

Andrew, we built a strawbale timberframe home in Muncie, IN using your techniques and Steve Chappell’s. We moved due to a job, and would love to list it on your site, but don’t see a regular place for listings. Is this something you are considering?

Andrew Morrison Tue, May 30, 2017 at 7:46 am #

Hi David. I still offer that service. I send the house notice out to our mailing list and post it on both the website and out social media outlets. I charge $500 for the service. Let me know if you want to move forward and I can send you the link to get started.

10. Jim Lamboy Sat, October 7, 2017 at 12:02 pm #

Is the house in SE Kansas for $175,000 still for sale?

Andrew Morrison Wed, October 18, 2017 at 10:57 am #

Hi Jim. I am not sure. You would have to contact the seller or seller’s agent on that one.