Help Define a New Name for SBC

people standing atop straw bale wallThis may sound crazy at first glance, but I need you to help define a new name for straw bale construction. I recently sat with a LOT of straw bale builders, architects, and enthusiasts at the twentieth anniversary of the California Straw Builders Association (CASBA) and discussed the myriad of reasons as to why interest in straw bale construction continues to decline in the United States.

One thing that we could all agree upon is that straw bale construction has so much to offer the housing and construction industries and that we need to find ways to bring this amazing technology to the larger arena.

Many of us have been working hard for years to do just that; however, our efforts have not had the impact that we would have liked. Google shows a steady downward trend in keyword search results related to straw bale construction, and that trend has been moving downward for at least 10 years. This seems crazy to me because there have been so many improvements in the technology and advances in the cause.

For example, a straw bale house from Arkin-Tilt Architects was named the house of the year by Fine Homebuilding Magazine; we have a newly approved national construction code for straw bale construction; more and more architects, builders, and homeowners  are aware of the benefits of straw bale construction.  And yet, the downward trend continues.

So what can we do? My approach in this moment is to change the way we talk about straw bale construction such that it can be more accepted in the mainstream. After all, if you talked to people about building a house made of dirt, chopped straw, and cow manure, chances are pretty good that people would think you were crazy. On the other hand, if you mention that you intend to build an adobe home, people will be more likely to say: “cool!”. Same materials, sexier name.

So how do we refer to straw bale construction in a new way? We know it is super energy efficient, sound proof, and fire resistant. We know that it is made of natural materials and performs extremely well in high winds, earthquakes, and other natural disaster scenarios. We know that the thick walls are beautiful and provide high levels of carbon sequestration. We know so much, just not what to call it that makes it sounds as sexy as it really is.

Here’s your call to action. We need a new name; one we can all get behind and present to the world in a new and powerful way. What ideas do you have? Please comment below with your ideas and share this article with anyone you think may want to help define the way forward for this amazing building technology.

Want to learn more about straw bale houses and how to build one? Want to do so for FREE? Sign up for our totally free 16 Day Straw Bale eCourse! Find out more HERE.

, , , , , , ,

136 Responses to Help Define a New Name for SBC

Andrew Morrison Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:23 am #

Great point Janis.

2. Stacie Kubick Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:29 am #

Besides the Applegate home example of $20k most strawbale houses are reported to be way more expensive to build than standard homes. In this economy people would rather take a natural material that is free or cheap than say pay top dollar for scrap products (straw) and add extra supports and chicken wire increasing cost majorly…. Even if that doesn’t make sense to us it is an economy of maximizing what you get for your dollar. Adobe technically avoids all those extra costs. There is the difference. Strawbale needs to be better engineered for user simplicity. You shouldn’t need a contractor or engineer to make a house (no offense) Maybe flatter bales people can pretreat with cob mixture and a simple lift system for diy. (Think cookie bar with chocolate on top then stacked tile like). Don’t get me wrong, I would love a strawbale but not until I can diy it to code cheaply.
    New name… Too expensive for this girl.

3. Kevin Davis III Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:32 am #

Hello – My name is Kevin Davis – I have been a fan of yours’ (straw bale) for over 20 years. I have even thought about ways to make them universally accepted.

I believe this can only come with a method that would get approval of some federally recognized organization’s i.e., DOT – UL etc.. I do not know the ones for construction trades and standards.

Without this approval – It will be hard for insurers – to insure – and engineers to know what they are dealing with as far as load strength etc.

The only way to do this is to be able to build ‘Blocks’ that are uniform and consistent.

I have put on paper – two machines that can not only do this – but would make it accessible to anyone that can build with Lego like blocks and rent a backhoe.

I am a disabled Veteran – that now have plenty of time to give – to this dream of mine.

I actually came up with this when I was with the 62nd Eng. Bn. at Fort Hood Texas.
    and came across a portable cement mixing truck – built on a 2 1/2 ton truck chassis.

Further refined while working with the DoD at Ft. Carson CO. building ‘shoot houses’ to train our SF troops for geographic specific targets (real mock ups of real targets.)

A little about me:
    I am 57 – Navy 6 yrs (cross trained as a machinist) Army 2 yrs. DoD 8 yrs. Welder and RETS Mechanic (Remote Electronic Target Systems). As a welder for 4 yrs. I designed and built deployable target systems for Special Forces (SF) to deploy with them. To keep them current in their shooting accuracy and qualifications. I have been an armature engineer since age 15 – and well qualified in low voltage electronics.

To be able to advance the marketability of ‘known strength’ construction bales is a passion of mine.
    I may not have a name yet – But I do have a plan to make them much more accepted and usable. Please contact me if you are interested.

Thanks for your time.
    Kevin

4. Stan Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:42 am #

Modular Bale Building (MBB) – This helps portray the efficiency built into the system and hints at the sustainability of the material.

To be honest, I think rebranding is a bandaid. I work in architecture so I have some thoughts that come with a little insight in the industry.

Why does Autodesk programs exist in 90% of the design firms even though it is an inferior product to other design software tools? Why does each grocery store have an aisle of sodas that are basically nutritionally worthless? 1) They get there message out to people when they are young (free tutorials, free samples, lots of marketing) and 2) they are very profitable to many people in the supply chain. The strawbale movement needs to get in front of design and construction students early on in their high school or college education. Many students are looking for opportunities to build and design REAL things and I believe strawbale affords them this chance better then most. When these young professional get into the field, they will help push the movement forward. Secondly, the supply chain. You know the building world is filled with regulations and warranties and insurances. Most architects (and many owners) will not build with product that they can’t get warrantied or have well know building standards backing it up. They are stretched so thin on margins that most of the time it isn’t worth it to try a whole new construction type (to them).

So I think there are a couple of ingredients that are still missing. Early education – Get them while they are in school – design contests, give aways, internships, summer workshops. Professional Standards – I know that there has been a great amount of work done here, but there is still more to do. If there was a way to get a sales professional to help an architect with detailing and specs on there first building or two, this would make a big difference.

The electric car is about 20 years behind schedule, but its finally seeing daylight. I think strawbale will find its day, it will just take time and energy from many smart and dedicated people. I really want to see this movement succeed and I can’t wait for my chance to build a strawbale home myself! Cheers,

5. Scott Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:00 am #

Cellulose Block Insulation
    Bio-Insulation Modules or Blocks
    Structural Insulation Modules or Blocks

6. Ken Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:04 am #

I believe part of the reason that Straw bale building has declined is because Tiny House building is the “in thing” for alternative building (I believe Andrew can vouch for this). How many TV shows cover Tiny homes versus Straw bale? Many of the same people who would build a strawbale home are the ones building or buying a Tiny home.

That said, I will still build a straw bale house because I love the feel of them.

7. Amanda Lang Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:08 am #

When I started exploring alternative construction methods, I dismissed this form of construction out of hand as soon as I saw “strawbale”. It sounded flimsy (three little pigs doesn’t help), and it brought to mind mucking out horse stalls as a kid. Now that I’ve learned more about it, I’m a convert and love talking to people about it!

Based on my own experience, I definitely feel like this method of construction is getting a bad rap because of the “straw” component in the name.

I like some of the suggestions already posed, particularly “eco block” or “eco biomass” construction.

I would suggest “thermal biomass” home/construction. While encompassing a variety of bale types, I think it’s still sufficiently specific to differentiate it from other construction methods. The name sounds solid, efficient and reliable.

“Thermal biomass” also rolls off the tongue easily enough for general uptake.

8. GJ Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:18 am #

SB… Sustainable Building!
    Let me help you re-write The Three Little Pigs story!
    Seashell Santas
    GJ

9. Ashley Freeman Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:47 am #

TIES–Totally Integrated Environmental Structure

10. Shawn Martin Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:55 am #

What about Super-Insulated Adobe? People already know what Adobe is and have a general picture of what those types of homes look like. In my mind, straw bale is very similar, just with added insulation.

11. Tru Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:03 am #

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you gave the example of adobe, and I think cob would be another example, where you have a word rather than a description (or acronym for a description). There are definitely some cool words that originated as acronyms – laser, radar, etc., but generally, using a description, no matter how clever, can confuse and over complicate, especially when you’re talking about the consumers you want to be bringing on board. Suggesting Allwin was an attempt to create a new word, but also incorporate the sales pitch that it’s “all win”. Regardless of who you’re talking to, the customer, the architect, an engineer, a government official, etc, they’ll all have different criteria they want to see, and if you start with a name like “Allwin” and say it’s because it’s a win win win on all levels, they’re likely going to be slightly excited and interested before they know anything about it. I think that’s the point – “straw bale” puts you in a position of having to defend against a slew of potential negative assumptions and preconceptions, most of the technical names proposed will turn off a lot of non-technical customers, whereas “Allwin” puts you in the position of confirming people’s hopes that it will meet their specific needs, while also showing a host of other benefits that they may not care about as much but hey, if they’re thrown in for good measure, why not! It appeals to emotion and desire and knee-jerk reactions. You’re starting with the person being on board before they know anything about it. We’re talking branding, and theres a reason there are no top brands that have names like RALFS for a shoe company for “Rubber And Leather Foot Support”. Not wanting to shoot people’s ideas down, a lot of the suggestions are really clever, just trying to really stick to the intent of the request.

Incidentally, where I live, a small island on west coast Canada, I only know of straw bale houses being built, or having been recently been built, or planning to be built. A cord wood house went up a while back, but recently it’s all straw bale.

12. Katrina Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:08 am #

I’m thinking that new terminology can work twofold by increasing interest by identifying strawbale as a solution to existing problems with modern construction. I also think the more specific the better. People of all kinds of mindsets are moved through emotion. So maybe a guiding question would be what about typical construction negatively impacts the people we are trying to reach on a personal level. So we could meet people where they are at and invite them to look deeper at issues we all deal with…

I’m thinking:
    -carcinogen free structural cellulose

Maybe sustainable structural cellulose? But even though the thought of being sustainable moves me it probably doesn’t evoke the same emotion on a personal level for everyone. Nobody is going to type either into their search engine but if I saw an article about a Carcinogen Free Structural Cellulose house it would make me stop and think “there is what in my standard frame walls?!”

13. Graham Pratt Thu, May 12, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

Immediately my thoughts were about people’s preconceived ideas, many on this thread have pointed to different parts of the same reasoning. It is hard to sell an idea to someone who has already decided we are mad.

Interestingly, when we tell people we live in a straw bale house they are always intrigued and want to know more. Maybe this is to do with the people we talk to or the country or some other weird thing, but no matter who we talk to about it they love the fact that we have practically zero ongoing costs in running our house…

To me I was leaning towards Eco block construction or similar (although this is vague).

I, as a bit of a pain would hate to think I need to hide the construction method but sadly people are people.

Another one of the problems we face is that people always seem to conjure up hippie style muddy environments etc when thinking of SBC.

Btw my building inspector came in a while ago to check the internal framework, after an hour and a half of him telling me how lovely the home is, how calming it is, what an escape from the world etc I had to force him to check the frame work. (He dismissed me and said, oh it is fine).

Maybe this is how we win people over one or two people at a time.

I was convinced to look at SBC by a building inspector.

14. Tish Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:17 pm #

Hi Andrew ! after reading through all the posts , and because I,ve been in the construction trades for over 20 yrs…in the bay area and surrounding areas – along with dealing with the cities inspection department , …and most of all the clients ; the comments from Justin seem the most comprehensive . Most people looking into new construction are becoming more aware of higher efficiency building choices – not just windows and appliance . The thing that you want to do is capture their attention with a simple , concise phrase or sentence , which then they can investigate further – otherwise , with a long intro , they’ll not understand and loose interst simply because they don’t understand & think it’s too complicated . So I definitely vote for NCB , High Performance Home ! Thank you Andrew for what you’ve brought to the building industry and impacted far more people than you can imagine ! And a huge shout out to your wonderful wife , for all the work & support she contributes ! Tish

15. Dan Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:27 pm #

BPC – BioPerm Construction

Really, that could apply to a lot of different materials so may not get differentiated from those other materials. Which could be a good or bad thing depending on how to push the codes.

16. R. B. Tombs Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:38 pm #

Wheat House. John Denver’s song with the “gold was just a windy Kansas wheat field” line as the theme music.

17. Christa Barnhizer Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:00 pm #

Stabale Construction. from STrAwBALE, cool word like “adobe” that also implies stability. Pronounced “stay’-bale”

18. Willie Smart Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

hi I was at ISBC 2106 nz & the theme for the conference was ‘ultra low carbon construction for 21st century’ not really a name suggestion but may help more creative thinkers, for ideas whatever it is it should encapsulate the ideas of ‘healthy, super strong,warm, fireproof,breathable,low embodied energy etc’ finally for those of us that are faced with the 3pigs images when discussing, bale building. get a copy of “Bali’s version of: The Three Little Pigs” by Jeni cardinal its a kids book but it tells it in a fun way, that even adults will ‘get it’ about bale building

19. Barb Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:51 pm #

Pioneer Construction which it is, both old and new!

20. James Thu, May 12, 2016 at 3:26 pm #

Many of these suggestions are too complex, with too many buzzwords. I would propose ‘Organic Masonry’ Or ‘Organic Masonry Blocks’.

Things labeled ‘organic’ seem to be all the rage these days, so I think we can have that one buzzword without sinking the ship.

21. Michael Thomas Thu, May 12, 2016 at 3:40 pm #

Hi Andrew,

As a 20 year strawbale builder I agree that we could improve the way we promote these methods to achieve more mainstream acceptance. However, I don’t think a name change is a good idea.

I can foresee trying to explain what the new named method actually is which ultimately would involve the word “straw”. And we are back to where we are now and would abandon 20+ years of promotion of strawbale building.

Plus, as you mention we now have “Appendix S – Strawbale Construction” as part of the building code. This is a huge reason to continue with strawbale.

I applaud all you have done for strawbale building through your workshops, videos, and website. I agree with a lot of your education and wish you continued success.

22. Jim Leach Thu, May 12, 2016 at 6:59 pm #

Earth Home works for me

23. Kris Thu, May 12, 2016 at 8:09 pm #

CBC= Compact Bio Cube

24. Rik Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:06 pm #

Organic Building

25. Jake Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:24 pm #

Modular Cellulose Construction System for the folks who like official sounding terms

26. Sandra Fri, May 13, 2016 at 5:27 am #

I agree with Jennifer. Have wanted to build a SB for decades but I can’t do it myself. So what do you do? Don’t want to give up on my dream esp. with the more dramatic weather changes seen in the Midwest. I have toured two local SB houses and I immediately felt safe, secure and “at home”. After that, I wanted one more than ever!

27. Greg Vizzi Fri, May 13, 2016 at 7:17 am #

Eco-tech wall construction. Eco: ecology, green building. Tech: Technical, implying precise, scientific methods and techniques. (People like technology and like to think modern technological processes are advanced).

28. Ben Fri, May 13, 2016 at 7:29 am #

S.A.F.E. Blocks

Straw Bale
    Assembly of
    Fibro-cellulos
    Engineered
    Blocks

29. Chris Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:29 am #

Energy Efficient Cellulose Block construction. That’s what we called it when we put our plans through the building department as the first ever in our area. Straw is cellulose after all. It helps disconnect the stereotypes about straw and creates a new understanding of what it can be.

When we used manure in our earthen plaster we called it : pre-processed cellulose by-product for the same reason.

Yes, we were approved. Been living in it over a decade. Many of our friends love it but won’t build with it simply because the build is so very labor intensive.

30. Dee Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:41 am #

check out the tiny house movement for ideas too.. tiny home enthusiasts could build with straw! Connect with these groups on facebook for example, and events..

check out earthships website for an international ‘pockets of freedom’ map, where we may build more naturally! I agree with town issues, I built a tiny home off grid, and have trouble from the town – they told me I may only live there 180 days a year!?

What about working with communities.. also a growing movement!

Speak (marketing) to climates in which straw bales may be built, another objection I hear frequently is weather.. most people I talk too believe it must be in the desert!

Although I love “Straw Bale” it couldn’t be more clear what you do, and some day I wish to attend a workshop, here are some name suggestions:

Adobe Agape (Love in Greek)

Adobe Love

Earth Bricks

Earth Brick

(a by line for any of the above) big or small, do it yourself homes by nature

31. Anna from Cambridge Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:23 pm #

There are so many brilliant suggestions here, it feels as though people have already covered all the bases!
    I also feel that people resonate with acronyms – both because it “hides” the word they might be unconsciously uncomfortable with, AND because it “sounds” high-tech (and therefore desirable!) AND because they want to sound knowledgeable …
    And others of the suggestions too – Allwin was another one which particularly stood out – which simply sound “official” but at the same time work at a subconscious level for that feelgood factor…

I’m in utter awe of all the work you do, Andrew and Gabriella, and longing for the day when I can afford to join one of your courses (or win a place!)… and even more, for the day I can afford to buy land and build my own home! THANK you for giving hope and inspiration to so many of us.

32. Tom Nelson Fri, May 13, 2016 at 4:09 pm #

How about ‘Stucco Bale’ construction? Or ‘plastered bale’ construction?

Just a couple off the top of my head. I’ll keep working on it. Been wanting to build one for about 15 years-maybe this will be my year!!

33. P McGinley Fri, May 13, 2016 at 5:01 pm #

What is the Target audience for the sell – various. Most important business analysis – Know your market. SWOT analysis -Strengths Weakness Opportunities Threats.

Home construction is a big competitive business. Many designers, manufacturers speculative builders using veneer construction who have market share and lobbyists well entrenched in every level of the community psyche. Quick n easy, Known & accepted. Build facing the street not the winter sun.

Re-branding Hmm…? Main stream perceptions – an ‘Alternative’ building construction. I guess mainstream building techniques it’s like the food industry – fast convenient not that healthy but available and easy access accepted by most but not really a good thing instead of food grown locally, pesticide & chemical free.

Show the end / finished home , maybe not just is the woods or surrounded by nature but in the suburbs first. Then construction method second. If you must face the street (Roman style) the home blends in. Can you see the weirdo straw bale home? Does it stand out form the rest or is its thermal secrets hiding discreetly behind the street facade and a wry smile because you don’t have the outrageous heating cooling costs of your neighbour… Not the romantic messy plastering and group hug that so many westerners are afraid of.

“Sun blocks”, grown by the sun, dried by the sun.

Now providing protection from the harsh summer sun.

The golden ring of confidence in your home. LOL

34. Norman Fri, May 13, 2016 at 7:05 pm #

Great ideas so far. Ultimately, simple labels are ones that stick. Does anyone know whether other alternative building methods are also declining? Does cob construction have similar negative connotations, for instance?

Jennifer’s comment about not being able to build a straw bale house by herself is a strong point, and I think it relates to local codes in that as codes become more stringent and standardized, owners are less able to do the work themselves, which means they have to rely on “professionals” who may be unversed in or unwilling to work with alternative methods. The new international code may go a long way toward helping this, but contractors and plumbers and electricians, etc. must be willing to embrace the movement.

35. Norman Fri, May 13, 2016 at 7:29 pm #

Here’s a slight variation on some other ideas:

Cellulose/plaster construction

(both are essential elements of straw bale; the bales are just convenient units of cellulose)

36. Sue Fri, May 13, 2016 at 7:50 pm #

Side note: Please, please don’t refer to straw as “agricultural waste” – when composted, it returns nutrients to the ground and helps reduce topsoil loss. I think building with straw is great, in fact we live in an owner-built straw-bale house, but straw is also ecologically highly valuable to re-incorporate into the soil when running farms organically, as we do. If organic material grown from the soil is not consistently cycled back into the soil, soil becomes dependent on inorganic fertilisers and fossil-fuel agriculture. So, building with straw does come with an ecological cost, although it’s a lesser cost than many other building materials. There really is no free lunch – just kinder lunch.

Pics of our build and organic farm (honey and free-range grass-fed beef) here:

Interesting branding problem Andrew brought up! It’s a shame that it’s even a problem, many modern people are so removed from nature these days.

37. Gabriel Turicianu Sat, May 14, 2016 at 12:24 am #

Hi, Andrew

I found your DVD’s and I along with other 2 books I’ve build myself a beautiful house in 2011 (I’m not an engineer but a philosopher – so no building experience at all, yeahh!) – the first one in Romania. Not because of fancy or sexy name of it, but because I choosed to think different. All my friends like it but nobody decided later on to build with straw. I’m off-grid from 2010.

Conclusion 1: a horse is a horse, do not try to change it’s name but do your best to explain the benefits. Or build an auto to replace it if you want/need something different.

Conclusion 2: on the other hand I think the concept shoud be improved: from a simple strawbale house to “passive strawbale house”. I mean the people should be encourage to obtain a fully passive house building with strawbale (since that it’s possible). And all the shared ideas and tech info should be focus on achieve that. This is something which could gather attention in this new very busy world (using the other concept where a lot of budgets are invested: “eco”, “mother earh”, “save the planet”). It’ s a mix of “beauty” and “pragmatism” = passive strawbale house!

PS: main it’s not 100% passive, but now (with some experience got it meanwhile) I could fall in love for a new project like this.

38. Sara Gray Sat, May 14, 2016 at 4:37 am #

How about something like “prairie block” construction?

39. Michelle Berger Sun, May 15, 2016 at 9:38 pm #

Earthstruction…makes sense to me!

40. Cathy Sellers Mon, May 16, 2016 at 6:20 am #

I think straw bale buildings are part of an environmental solution. They are made with renewable resources, sparing the lungs/trees of the planet. They offer insulative protection against heat, cold and noise. What’s not to love?
    However they are possibly a thorn in the side of the building industry that favours lumber and all the other necessary adjuncts to an lumber house. I refer to insulation, vapour barriers, and the like.
    I have built a straw bale house in Manitoba Canada. I was able to easily have it mortgage worthy by having an engineer draw up my personal design plans. It is fire insured, as some are recognizing it to be less burn able than drafty lumber structures, perhaps. Or perhaps they are just more willing.
    I used flax bales, deleting the need for chicken wire, as the rough texture bonds well with lime plasters, or any other. Mice? They don’t bother with flax straw. In fact nothing does. It’s hard to work with because it it so wirey. Oh well.
    It is beautiful, sustainable, snug, and cheap. I dare say that it is education that’s needed, not a catchy name.. There are some huge and powerful detractors! Good luck Andrew.

41. Kevin Davis III Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:57 am #

Hello again – Wow, a lot of great thoughts and thinking going on… A lot of passion too.

I am willing to Open Source my ideas – to combine our present way of making our bales. Into a semi-automated way. To make them a dependable and uniform source of building blocks. This could be done on or off site.
    This is really just combining some simple engineering with processes that have been around since the 1830’s. Add a couple of modern twists that make it very repeatable and simple for the end user of almost any skill level. It incorporates separate use / don’t use tracts for plumbing and electrical runs, lifting and alignment recesses.

I don’t know if it would be as simple as adding a menu tab on this site – that could be added to… Or what it would take to do so.

I have not done so – already – because I don’t know how to proceed with a task such as this. I would be happy to help and contribute in any way that I can. I am sure
    other’s would too.

Thanks for your time.
    Kevin

42. Richard Mon, May 16, 2016 at 11:08 am #

I think cost is the biggest reason Bale home searches are declining. People looking at Straw Bale homes are also looking at other efficient homes, like Earth Bag homes, Earthships, Berm homes, Tiny Homes, and maybe more.

But with the exception of the true Earthship homes, all the others on that sort list are less expensive, per square foot, than Bale homes (not to mention that a traditional stick home is also less expensive).

The other part, is that banks are less likely to fund non-traditional builds. Bale homes have less of an issue than Berm and earth bag homes, but it’s still an issue in a lot of places I’ve seen. It seems to come down to comparable homes in the area within a close proximity (so banks can assess their risk).

As awesome as they are, people want more bang for their buck and want bank backing..

43. Elizabeth Kubicki Tue, May 17, 2016 at 7:50 am #

I like stabale or stay-bale because it states the fact that it stands up to the wind and fire etc. Prairie Block also sounds good, as does wheat house. Loved the comment of the peace and tranquil feeling of being in a bale home. That is so true for every straw bale home I have been in. One feels it right away. Quiet straw bale insulation, ah peace.

44. Penny Lowe Tue, May 17, 2016 at 9:12 am #

ECO-SHAFT

Ecological – Sustainable Homes and Fiber Technology

45. Angela Wed, May 18, 2016 at 4:03 am #

InsulTherm Homes or Insul-Therm Homes!

I’ll see if I can come up with more. There are tons of great ideas so far – good luck!

46. Angela Wed, May 18, 2016 at 4:55 am #

I wonder if pairing the new name with some standard photos and floorplans of well-designed, well-appointed, small to mid-sized model homes – with broad market apeal – would help. That may require the cost to market test the home photos, floorplans, and new name.

Andrew Morrison Wed, May 18, 2016 at 8:45 am #

That’s a good idea. It helps hit the name AND value of the medium.

48. Bryce J. Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:49 am #

Hey!
    Bale Buildings
    Haystack Productions
    Tom Thumb Homes
    Straw Berry Construction
    Camelback Buildings (Break the camel, not your bank account)
    Great Harvest Homes
    Harvest Moon Construction
    Techno-House Homes
    Micro Home Building
    Elements Home Building
    Legome (Natures Building Blocks)
    Hay Canyon Construction
    Hey Hay Homes (Dedicated to What’s Happening)
    Mother Earth Homes